Thursday, October 18, 2018

What should I do?

What should I do?: Philosophers on the Good, the Bad, and the Puzzling edited by Alexander George and Elisa Mai, 212 pages

Askphilosophers.org is a website that allows people to ask for advice from philosophers. The questions are supposed to have some type of philosophical consideration. The book contains questions and answers pulled from the website.

The book is broken up into four sections that have subsections. It starts off with the Personal, continues with the Public, moves on to the Political and wraps up with the Nature of Morality. Each question is presented with a philosopher or philosophers answering. The answers present some philosophical ideas but are pretty short and get to the point relatively quickly.

There are a lot of good questions and accompanying answers. At the end I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped I would be. I think the problem was that the questions and answers are only one to three pages so I would immediately jump from one to the next. It would probably be better to read a limited amount each day and think about them. It might also be better for a teenager or young adult who hasn't considered all the subjects covered by the questions and answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment