Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Absolute Sandman, vol. 1

The Absolute Sandman, vol. 1 by Neil Gaiman, 612 pages

This sizable volume comprises the first quarter of Gaiman's groundbreaking Sandman comic book series. This first volume follows the Sandman (also known as Morpheus, and also simply "Dream") as he is accidentally summoned and imprisoned by humans, who were seeking to enslave his sister, Death. After 70 years of imprisonment, the Sandman escapes, only to find that the world, both real and the dream world over which he reigns, has changed, and that his power has become scattered over time. Little by little, he regains his footing and his power.

This had long been on my "to-read" list, and I'm glad I finally picked it up, as I'm enjoying it immensely. The issues swing back and forth between fantasy and horror, touching on everything from the story of the first performance of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream to a somewhat whimsical meeting of cats in a graveyard to a truly horrifying episode in a diner, the latter of which is probably the scariest thing I've ever read in graphic novel form. While some may find this variation frustrating, I like it. It becomes more episodic (though still keeping the general overarching story), much like dreams are themselves.

Echoes of Sandman are in several of the series I enjoy now (including Fables and The Unwritten) and I've enjoyed finally seeing the roots from which so many graphic novels have sprung. I only wish I had a more thorough grounding in DC comics, as Gaiman harkens back to the classics (everything from Batman to John Constantine). But I've still been able to enjoy this. I look forward to the next installment.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard tons of good things about this series, but I recall looking at a volume on the shelf and being a little turned off by the art. I should really just push through and read it anyways, since I'm sure I'd get used to it, and from what everyone says, the story's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandman was my first major foray into comics many, many years ago. I am totally due for a reread. It's still one of my favorites, and I can't really imagine it not holding up under a rereading.

    ReplyDelete