Saturday, May 13, 2017

Conversations with Friends

Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney.  304 pages

This novel centers on Frances, who is a 21 year-old college student and aspiring writer.  Devoted to a life of the mind, she is also devoted to her best friend, Bobbi. The two of them perform spoken-word poetry together in Dublin, where they meet Melissa, a journalist who wants to write an article about them. Drawn into Melissa's orbit, Frances is impressed by her home and life, as well as by Melissa's husband, Nick. When her flirtation with Nick turns into something more, Frances tries to keep her life in check and her relationship with Bobbi intact.

The summary on Goodreads says, "Written with gem-like precision and probing intelligence, Conversations With Friends is wonderfully alive to the pleasures and dangers of youth."   Personally, I found this book to be kind of boring.  It was interesting enough, but I never quite liked Frances and most of the time, kept reading because I was curious to see what would happen in the story. However, I felt like it just didn't live up to my expectations. I liked the author's writing style, but I found I lacked interest in the characters and after a while, the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment