Sunday, May 21, 2017

This Is What a Librarian Looks Like

This Is What a Librarian Looks Like: A Celebration of Libraries, Communities, and Access to Information by Kyle Cassidy, Ronald Rice (Editor), Richard Russo (Goodreads Author) (Foreword), Emily St. John Mandel (Goodreads Author) (Afterword)     240 pages.

Of course I picked up this book! Partly because I knew it was being published and partly because I remember what a few people told me when I started library school: "But you don't look like a librarian!"  Since then, I've picked up some pencil skirts and cardigans so I'm sure I fit their stock image a little better now.

This book stems from a photo essay published on Slate.com by author and photographer Kyle Cassidy in 2014. It was a montage of portraits and a general tribute to librarians. Since then, he has made it his mission to remind people how essential libraries and librarians are to our communities. This book has all kinds of people in it, women and men of all ages, background and personal style. Each person share their personal thoughts on what it means to be a librarian, and there are also original essays by Neil Gaiman, Cory Doctorow, Nancy Pearl and others.  I found it to be an interesting read, and it was nice to see so many different kinds of people represented in this book (as well as a range of different types of libraries).  While this book is great for librarians to see, I feel like it would be a great book to get in the hands of a lot of people, especially those who proclaim that libraries are redundant, since we have the Internet.  It's a fun read, but also thought-provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment