Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Summer Sisters

Summer Sisters by Judy Blume.  416 pages

In the summer of 1977, Victoria Leonard's world was changed forever when Caitlin Somers chose her as a friend. Welcoming her into the heart of her family, Caitlin introduces Vix to a world of privilege and vacations on Martha's Vineyard, a place where the two become "summer sisters," and where Vix has some unforgettable experiences.

Now, years later, Vix is working in New York City and is still friends with Caitlin, although not as close as she used to be. When Caitlin calls and tells Vix that she's getting married on the Vineyard, begging her to be her maid of honor, Vix knows she will go, even though this is the friend whose casual betrayals never lost their edge over the years.

When I need to reset my brain from reading, I pick up this book. Even though I've read it many times, I still enjoy revisiting the book and the characters, and I like how Blume gives a number of perspectives to tell the story. We get most of our narration from Vix, but Blume adds in narrative from other characters, so you understand how the different people relate to each other and create the storyline.  Judy Blume's storytelling, which most of us know from books we read growing up, is just as engaging when it's a story for adults. I find she has a way of creating characters that I can instantly visualize and empathize with (even though she sometimes barely describes what they look like).  I wouldn't ever say that this is a deep read, but that's why I like it: it's fast and it just tells a story that I like and don't have to think too much about (which definitely is appreciated sometimes).

No comments:

Post a Comment