Saturday, May 6, 2017

Shoe Innovations

Shoe Innovations: A visual celebration of 60 styles by Catherine Cox.  256 pages.

Let me state: I am not one of those women who feels that she can never have enough shoes. While I admit that I have shoes that I love (and some that I might not wear often, but can't bear to get rid of), I have no interest in collecting shoes, wearing heels that hurt my feet, etc etc.

However, that does not mean that I didn't find this book to be interesting.  The author divides sections down into time periods and then explores different styles of shoes that have evolved.  The chapter on sandals, for example, discusses how this is most likely the original style of shoe, from which all others have evolved.  Filled with information, along with full-color photos, this book is a fun exploration of something that's commonplace, yet still has moments of innovation.  It was interesting to learn about some of the innovations from designers who, in working to make improvements, created a new style.  And, while I thought I knew just about all of the shoe styles out there, I found a few new ones here.  For example, the Valenki, a flat, felt boot developed about 300 years ago to walk on the dry snow of the harsh Siberian winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment