Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Once Broken Faith

Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10) by Seanan McGuire    420 pages

In this tenth book of the October (Toby) Daye series, the focus is on the cure (and ensuing politics of) for elf-shot. She's been ordered to appear before a historic convocation of monarchs, overseen by the High King and Queen themselves.  Of course, things have barely gotten underway when the first dead body is discovered. As the only changeling in attendance, Toby is already the target of hostility and suspicion, so she needs to find the killer before they strike again.

I don't know why I keep reading this series because I'm pretty much to the "meh" point when I finish the book. However, I enjoy some of the characters and find that even though some of the storyline can be predictable, the books are overall an okay read.

McGuire doesn't expect the reader to have read all of the books in the series, so she does give a bit of backstory here and there --- which is helpful, but doesn't make it a slog for those of us who have been reading the series all along. I do find that I get a little confused with all of the different political intrigues that go on (and admittedly, find at times that it's a little pretentious). However, I like the world that McGuire has created in this series and as mentioned, like some of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment