Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Stay With Me

Stay with Me by Ayobami Adebayo    272 pages

Yejide and Akin have been married since they married and fell in love at university. They've always agreed that Akin would have Yejide as his only wife, but after four years into their marriage, they still have no children. Yejide assumes she has time, but then her family arrives on her doorstop with a young woman that they introduce as Akin's new, second, wife.  Furious, Yejide knows the only way to save her marriage is to get pregnant, which she finally does --- at a cost far greater than she or Akin could have imagined.

This was a fascinating book. I have read many amazing reviews of it, so I was happy to get my hands on it.  I found it propelled me into a completely different world, where I felt I was feeling my way at first. Then, I got into the story and the characters and the whole book just flowed.  The characters here are complex and flawed, but compelling. The intricacies of not just the marriage between these two people, but what children and family mean to them, and in the greater context of their culture, were fascinating (and at times, heartbreaking).

No comments:

Post a Comment