Saturday, September 9, 2017

Saratoga Trunk

Saratoga Trunk by Edna Ferber  352 pages

Originally published in 1941 (which I'm noting for something I'll say later), this is the story of Clio Dulaine, an ambitious young woman who more than meets her match in Clint Maroon, a handsome Texan with a head for business (and an eye for Clio).  Together, they find they have a burning ambition to acquire all they've ever wanted (and then, romantically, fail to realize they already have all they'll ever need --- each other).

I like some of Edna Ferber's books, notably this one and my favorite of hers, So Big.  What I find interesting is how, as I re-read these books over the years, how I react to the story.  As I mentioned, this book was written in 1941 and it's important to keep that in mind --- because Ferber's writing is sometimes stereotypical in nature, and definitely not in keeping with the political correctness of today.  In this story, Clio is Creole, born to a woman who is the mistress of a wealthy man in New Orleans.  Of course, this is scandalous, and Clio takes full advantage of playing up her beauty and how scandalous it is.  She's ambitious and determined to be herself, even if she and her two companions, are considered exotic (read "strange") by other people.

Despite the fact that it can be odd to read some of Ferber's dialect for some of the characters, I still enjoy this story. I enjoy Ferber's rich descriptions of New Orleans life and even if Clio can be a bit much at times (she is what we would consider a drama queen), there's a sense of fun to it all.  Ferber typically writes female characters who have grit and gumption and who stand up to men and make their own way in the world.  These characters go against the conventions of their day, in a way that makes you want to cheer for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment