Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Eat Like Walt

Eat Like Walt:  The Wonderful World of Disney Food by Marcy Smothers   176 pages

I am not a huge fan of Walt Disney. I like some of the movies, but I'm not a die-hard Disney lover. I have been to Disneyland (when I was 5) and Disney World (Epcot when it had just opened), but I don't have a desire to go back to either place.  However, when I saw this book on the shelf in ELB, I couldn't resist. There was something about a book about Disneyland and its culinary history that just sounded too potentially weird to resist.

This was actually a pretty cool book. The author explores the "lore of each land," starting with Main Street, USA to Tomorrowland and explains that while Disneyland opened in 1955, its culinary history went back to 1923 when Walt Disney first arrived in Hollywood. While his own tastes were simple (like, did you know he loved chili so much that he ate it a few times a week?), he knew that food could have an effect on people. Some of the restaurants in Disneyland were so popular that people would wait in line for hours.  Definitely an interesting viewpoint on history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment