Monday, May 13, 2019

Impossible Causes

Impossible Causes by Julie Mayhew   410 pages  I read a galley - book is due out November, 2019

What is a rumor worth? What price for secrets? Is isolation the cause of what's happening on the remote island of Lark or is it something more insidious?

This novel has a historical feel to it, although it's set in the present day on the remote island of Lark. While most of the people on the island have lived there for generations, three strangers arrive before the season of heavy fog: Ben, a charismatic new teacher, and Viola Kendrick and her mother, who are looking for a new place to live after an unspeakable tragedy.  What they find is that this tight-knit community has many secrets to it, and the religious traditions that have held Lark together for generations are starting to unravel.

When a body is found one morning, who is to blame? Faith quickly turns to suspicion and fear.  The back of the book says that this book is "Eerie and menacing . . an unputdownable thriller that examins the consequences of silence kept at young women's expense."  I agree with all of that . .  except I found this book easy to put down.  I did not feel immersed in the story and often found it confusing, and the characters annoying, and I would put it down and pick up something else to read.  My curiosity about the story was enough to make me keep reading, but I never really felt like I enjoyed the book.  Which is fine --- I'm just not the reader for this book (so I'm setting it free for someone else to read).

No comments:

Post a Comment