Thursday, May 9, 2019

The mother-in-law

The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth    340 pages

Lucy tried to get close to her mother-in-law, working on building a friendly relationship and hoping they could form a bond. However, Diana has always kept Lucy at arms-length. In fact, Diana's not super-close with her son and daughter, either.
Now, Diana's been found dead, leaving a suicide note in a drawer. However, the autopsy reveals that it appears Diana was suffocated. And everyone in the family appears to have something to hide . . .

I enjoyed this book and how the author would give different viewpoints and also move backwards in time and then go to the present. Even though Lucy is our main character, you also get Diana's viewpoint, so you have insight into their relationship from both sides.  I also appreciated that while I suspected multiple people of foul play, I couldn't predict the ending until I was almost on top of it. The characters are written realistically and the pace of the story is steady, so I found it easy to sit down and just wind my way through the book.  Not as darkly suspenseful as some stories, but there's definitely a dark thread running through the story --- you just have to figure out who it's connected to.

No comments:

Post a Comment