Tuesday, May 21, 2019

No Exit

No Exit by Taylor Adams    336 pages

If you like locked-room mysteries + a bit of horror + intense pacing, this is a book for you.

College student Darby Thorne is on her way home to Utah to see her dying mother. Unfortunately, she gets caught in a fierce blizzard in the mountains of Colorado and is forced to wait out the storm at a remote highway rest stop. Inside, she finds coffee, vending machines and four complete strangers. Desperate to get a cell phone signal (especially because her battery is low and she forgot her charger), Darby goes outside and while by the other cars, makes a horrifying discovery: in the back of a van parked next her car, a little girl is locked in an animal crate.

Who is this girl? Who does the van belong to? Can Darby save her? And, considering one of her fellow travelers is a kidnapper, who can she trust?

As it turns out, this is only the beginning of this nightmare. The danger keeps ramping up and with it comes some even more horrifying discoveries. People aren't who they say they are, Darby has to find a way to rescue the girl and escape, and did I mention it's a blizzard outside?  And did Darby wear winter boots? Of course not. You know she didn't.

I whip-read my way through this book, although I will admit skimming slightly a few times when things got a bit too gruesome. Let's just say there's a nail gun and you can imagine the rest.  However, I liked the book and I really liked the character of Darby.  She's flawed, but she's smart and she's relentless (which I think can make for a completely lethal combination).

Let's just say that after reading this book, I am determined that I:
1) would prefer to not drive in a blizzard in the mountains;
2) but if I do, I would be prepared and have chains on my car and a big-ass phone charger
3) and would also be packing some survival tools in my car
4) and did I mention winter boots?

No comments:

Post a Comment