Friday, June 7, 2019

Come Home

Come Home by Lisa Scottoline              AudioBook:  12 hrs., 25 mins.   Mass Market Paperback Book:  432 pages                    

Another good book by Lisa Scottoline,  dialogue true to teenagers and young adults but so whiny it was hard to take at times, but, that is just me, after a while the level of whine starts feeling like fingernails scratching down a chalk board – YIKES!    I wouldn’t say that this was one of my favorites of Lisa’s writing, but, that is only because there was so much estrogen floating through this one I went back into my menses.  GEEZ!   It was grating at times but again, that wasn’t any fault of Lisa’s but the female characters themselves being rude and bitchy which my tolerance level for is zero.    I did manage to grit my teeth and get through this one and wouldn’t you know this one was longer than her usual novel.  I like Lisa’s style of writing, I love her as a person from her interviews and talks but OMgosh this was a tough one to tolerate to the end.    All 4 of the main female characters in this one got really on my last nerve.    The best female character in the book is Katie, the best friend of Mom, Jill in the story.    I like her moxy.   The story itself is good and as usual Lisa Scottoline does a juggling act with lots of side plots for her characters which were good.   I have to say, I was often mad at the main character from the middle to the end for her o.c.d.   She got absurd passing by what should have been important things in her life to continue on like a terrier with a rat for following her obsession.   I lost trust in her and felt she was pretending to care when she seriously was diassociated from what should have mattered most to her.    Her obsession could have waited.   She dropped the ball and caused the death and near death of people.   Didn’t much like her by the end and had I been Sam believe me, patience would have not been my virtue.    I would recommend all of Lisa’s other books before this one even though I have to add the caveat that the writing is superb it is just the feeling of not liking most of the female characters in this one that is off putting.   Maybe it is because I grew up with brothers and boy cousins that gives me such a low tolerance for whiny females.   Whatever – read all of Lisa Scottoline’s wonderful books just put this one on the bottom of the heap.

 - Shirley J.

No comments:

Post a Comment