Monday, June 10, 2019

The Nobodies: A Novel

The Nobodies: A Novel by Liza Palmer   259 pages  Due out Sept 2019 - I read a galley

Joan Dixon knows she is a damn good journalist. Even if she is laid off again. And even if the one person whose opinion she really values tells her her writing isn't very good. And, even though she's closer to 40 than 30 and living with her parents again.

When Joan gets a job as a junior copywriter at Bloom, a startup in LA where her bosses are 10 years younger than Joan, and everyone seems to be having fun (except Joan), she's happy to have a stable paycheck. She's even making friends at work. However, she has questions about the company she works for and, once a journalist, always a journalist, right?  Joan's determined to get under the surface of Bloom and once she does, may have the scoop of her lifetime.

Color me meh on this one. Joan reminded me of Harriet the Spy, eternally suspicious of everyone and everything, convinced that she's going to get to the bottom of things and uncover something really huge and important. I found Joan to be annoying, and perhaps this is just me --- but while I liked her determination to believe in herself as a good journalist, it annoyed me to no end that she starts working somewhere and then, instead of concentrating on actually working, thinks she has spotted a blight on the face of Bloom.  From that point on, she's on the case --- even involving her new friends at work to investigate things.  I found her too self-centered to be interesting and probably should have just closed this book about 3/4 of the way through; instead, I finished it . . . and then wished I had just closed it about 3/4 of the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment