Sunday, June 30, 2019

Finding Baba Yaga


Finding Baba Yaga by Jane Yolen, 141 pages
“You think you know this story. You do not. A harsh, controlling father. A quiescent mother. A house that feels like anything but a home. Natasha gathers the strength to leave, and comes upon a little house in the wood: A house that walks about on chicken feet and is inhabited by a fairytale witch. In finding Baba Yaga, Natasha finds her voice, her power, and herself.... A contemporary retelling of an iconic myth about a young woman discovering her voice by a beloved and prolific American storyteller.” I’m not sure that I really liked this very much.  I honestly don’t know who I would give this to either.  I love fairy tales and horror and books in verse have grown on me some and this book has all of that but I didn’t care for it.  I also generally like books by Yolen.  This book was dark and kind of predictable.  It ended up being more hopeful, but it didn’t feel that way.  I think that the contradiction in that bothered me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment