Monday, June 24, 2019

Light from Other Stars

Light from Other Stars by Erika Swyler   304 pages

Nedda Papas is eleven years old and obsessed with becoming an astronaut. Living in a small Florida Space Coast town in 1986, this dream seems within reach. Her father, Theo, is a scientist laid off from NASA and dealing with his own struggles, and her mother, Betheen, has her own obsessions. When Theo turns to experimenting with how he can extend his daughter's childhood a little longer, the result is an invention that alters the fabric of time.

Told between the present and the past, this is a story of a girl pursuing her own dreams while at the same time confronting  her own father and his secrets, and also of how she finds an ally in the mother she never felt she understood.

In the present, Nedda is on a space mission (this isn't a spoiler) and she and her crewmates are faced with a serious crisis; if she can come to terms with  her past, she may hold the key to saving them.

I read a galley of this book, one that I had sitting in my house for weeks and which I hadn't picked up yet.  I haven't read the author's previous book although after reading this one, I'm curious. I can't say that I entirely loved this book, although I certainly found it to be interesting. Some of the details are a little horrifying, and I think that's what put me off a bit a few times. It's definitely an interesting concept, though -- and almost reminded me of a combination of more recent Stephen King + The Martian by Andy Weir.

No comments:

Post a Comment