Tuesday, September 22, 2020

The Blossom and the Firefly

The Blossom and the Firefly by Sherri L. Smith    320 pages

 This blurb from the dust jacket is what drew me to this novel: “Japan 1945. Taro is a talented violinist and a kamikaze pilot in the days before his first and only mission. He believes he is ready to die for his country . . . until he meets Hana. Hana hasn't been the same since the day she was buried alive in a collapsed trench during a bomb raid. She wonders if it would have been better to have died that day . . . until she meets Taro.

Hana is 15 years old; Taro is 17. The war is starting to wind down with Japan not on the winning side.

Hana is one of the local school girls who work at the airbase. Their job is to support and companionship to the latest batch of kamikaze pilots.  The girls cook, wash and mend their clothes, talk with them, and when it’s time to takeoff, the wave goodbye with cherry blossoms.

Hana has watched her heart; she has never even learned any of their names…that is until Taro arrives from training.

Both are musicians, Hana plays the koto while Taro plays the violin.  They are instantly drawn to each, which makes both of their jobs very difficult.

 I haven’t read any novels before that were from the perspective of Japanese young adults.  For me, the plot dragged and there was little tension. Every time I ran across a Japanese word, I was pulled out of the story.  Much to my chagrin, when I finished the book, I found a glossary in the back.  If I had known it was there, my feelings might be different. Alas, “The Blossom and the Firefly” receives 2 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment