Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories



The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H. P. Lovecraft, 420 pages
Cover image for The call of Cthulhu and other weird stories / H.P. Lovecraft ; edited with an introduction and notes by S.T. Joshi.
I started reading this book namely because I saw one of my coworkers reading it and was fascinated by the depiction on the cover. It is not often you see Cthulhu wearing a mustache and monocle.  I have never read anything by Lovecraft though I know who Cthulhu is, so it was with a very open mind that I started reading.
Of the eighteen stories, my least favorite was Herbert West – Reanimator and my favorites are The Hound, The Call of Cthulhu, and The Colour out of Space. I think my dislike for Reanimator stems from seeing the semi cheesy movie already and knowing what to expect. Or maybe with the movie storyline being the first I saw of it, the book made it feel more alien or something.
Most of the rest were quite good and left you with a small sense of undefinable dread. Not enough in my case to make me stop reading or to keep me up at night, but a vague feeling or thought the creeps into the mind under the right conditions.

1 comment:

  1. I was aware of the movie "Reanimator" but didn't realize it was a Lovecraft story. I read the story first and preferred it, due to the fact that the movie was ultra cheesy and exaggerated. But still a good cult flick.

    ReplyDelete