Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Sound Of Your Voice Only Really Far Away

The Sound Of Your Voice Only Really Far Away by Frances O’Roark Dowell, 232 pages

This is the third book in The Secret Language of Girls trilogy, which I didn’t know when I checked it out. I definitely felt like I was missing some of the story when I started reading, which is when I checked and realized why. That being said, it still was a pretty good story. The book changes perspectives between mostly Marilyn and Kate, who are best friends but have been drifting apart. Marilyn has become a cheerleader and the girls on the squad don’t like her old friends or the boy she thinks is cute and they criticize her hair, nails, and clothes. She loves being on the squad but doesn’t always like the way the girls boss her around. Kate has become interested in music and playing her guitar. She doesn’t care about her clothes or hair very much but there is a boy she likes. But he doesn’t always act like he likes her back. The story takes on a few other characters’ perspectives, but mostly concentrates on these two. It’s a nice middle school story about the true-to-life experiences middle school girls have. Kids and pre-teens that like real life type stories will probably enjoy this book, although I would recommend starting with the first book.

No comments:

Post a Comment