Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Harry Potter Series

Harry Potter books 1-7 by J.K Rowling, 4098 pages

Cover image for HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE / by J.K. Rowling ; illustrations by Mary GrandPré.It was nice to finally get around to rereading this series in its entirety. Over the years I did read some as the movies came out, either to refresh my memory on what was coming next or to see what they had left out. But I hadn't made the time to give the series a thorough read through. When I first started I was worried that I would become bored in reading these books that I had seen depicted so many times. But not only was I not bored but I felt some of the same excitement that I remembered from before.

I don't have to tell you that this series is worth reading. I know that most of you have read it at some point. I still find it very well done for a young adult novel and would love to see the world of Harry Potter expanded upon at some point (Hint Hint).

Cover image for HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS / by J.K. Rowling ; illustrations by Mary GrandPré.But as I was reading the series I couldn't help but wonder if the world of Harry Potter was going to be something that will live forever. I know there is quite a following with the current generations but without anything else coming out to keep it established in the minds of future kids and teens will the books eventually fade away. I know the movies will likely survive with re-mastered or anniversary releases but give it enough time and they will become a teen movie classic and the books will be ignored. Look at movies like Black Beauty, Old Yeller or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn all based off books that are for the most part ignored despite nearly everyone having seen the films. I guess only time will tell.


PS for count purposes the books had the following page counts; 307, 341, 435, 734, 870, 652, 759.

2 comments:

  1. And in one post, you managed to blow my whole month's worth of pages out of the water. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete