Saturday, November 29, 2014

Grave Mercy

Cover image for Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, 549 pages
The His Fair Assassins series by Robin LaFevers has received a lot of talk based solely on its central premise: assassin nuns.  I have to admit, that is what first attracted me to this young adult series.  We meet the heroine Ismae on the day of her wedding to a very cruel man.  Her entrance into the mysterious St. Mortain convent is somewhat of a rescue mission from that rather than a direct choice.   Ismae learns that she is now in service of St. Mortain, the god of death, and her training as a highly skilled assassin begins. 

Part historical fiction, part Quentin Tarantino fantasy, Grave Mercy is an exciting and thoroughly enjoyable read.  Combining court intrigue with other-worldly figures, LaFevers writes a novel that is both fast-paced and thoughtful.  The character of Ismae is likeable without being annoying.  I found myself really cheering for her throughout the book.   The love story/romance elements were well-placed, and I think contributed to Ismae's development without detracting from her strength.  I read this book basically in one sitting (during a long day waiting to be called for jury duty) and have since moved on to the rest of the trilogy.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blog, Maryann! I knew that shiny trophy would win you over eventually!

    ReplyDelete