Thursday, November 20, 2014

I Work At A Public Library

I Work At A Public Library by Gina Sheridan, 152 pages


This book is a must read for anyone who has ever worked in a library.  A collection of one-liners and conversations, mostly between patrons and library staff, almost everyone who has worked in the library has experienced several of these situations or ones very similar.  Some stories made me laugh and several had me shaking my head but all of them are so very true.  There was a whole chapter devoted to one specific patron and one story had staff calling her because she had returned a case without the DVD inside.  She denied it and when staff persisted, she said, “I’d rather do two hundred million things than listen to you.”  Also funny were the kid stories, such as the young child who returned a book through the book drop outside just as a staff member stubbed her toe inside.  The child could hear the yelling coming from inside and said “Mommy, I think we hurt the book!”  I think that several patrons would also see the humor in this book, especially if they had ever worked in any type of service profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment