Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Unfinished Life of Addison Stone

The Unfinished Life of Addison Stone by Adele Griffin, 241 pages


The book starts with us knowing that Addison Stone has died, either in a tragic accident or in a suicide.  The story is supposed to be a documentary of sorts, chronicling Addison’s life through her family and friends.  It focuses mostly on her mother, agent, brother, best friend from high school, and two ex-boyfriends, although many other people are included.  Through their eyes, we get a pretty decent picture of what Addison was probably like.  She was an artist and a rebel, desperate to get away from her small hometown but very loyal to her friends.  She also suffered from mental illness of some sort and was on medication that she was deliberately not taking at the time of her death.  She also claimed to see a ghost, Ida, which may have been responsible for an earlier suicide attempt.  This was a really unusual book and I think it was well done, but I didn’t really like this style, personally.  It felt too disjointed to me and I didn’t feel like I got a well-rounded picture of what was going on.  This was probably deliberate because it illustrates that we don’t ever really know another person but it’s not what I look for in a young adult book.  I do think that there are teens out there who like true life-type stories that would enjoy this book, it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment