Saturday, November 29, 2014

I Am The Cheese

I Am The Cheese by Robert Cormier, 214 pages


Surprisingly, I hadn’t ever read this book before.  I have always found Cormier’s books to be a little bit odd.  The premise behind this story is good and it actually is well executed, but I don’t really like it.  The main character, Adam, has just set out on a bike ride that is going to take him at least overnight.  He is trying to get to his father, who he plans to visit.  The story of Adam’s ride is interspersed with an interview that Adam appears to be having with a doctor and is being recorded.  As the story progresses, we realize that Adam’s family may have been in some sort of witness protection and that Adam might still be in danger.  Unfortunately, the ending is still a little ambiguous and I was left feeling somewhat incomplete.  I suspect that is purposeful, but it isn’t usually my preferred style.  Teens who like mystery and suspense might like this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment