Thursday, February 9, 2017

Hyperbole and a Half

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh     369 pages

"This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:

Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me. . . "

I don't usually just copy/paste a summary from Goodreads, but I couldn't come up with a better summary of this book. I first discovered Hyperbole and a Half online, and then as soon as this book came out, got a copy.  Allie Brosh's stories make me laugh so hard that I can't read them in public, but they also make me tear up enough that I also can't read them in public.  The other night, though, I was reading her story about the "helper dog" and the "simple dog" and was laughing so hard (right before I was going to go to sleep) that I needed to put her book down and grab something else for the night. Her illustrations are simple, but there's a lot of emotion packed into each one. The author can sometimes be a bit raw, but the honesty in her stories is what I really love. I appreciate that she doesn't hide who she is, flaws and all, and I think that's why her stories resonate.


I learned this from Allie Brosh.

No comments:

Post a Comment