Monday, February 6, 2017

Peter O'Toole: The Definitive Biography

Peter O'Toole: The Definitive Biography by Robert Sellers.  432 pages

Using exclusive interviews with O'Toole's colleagues and close friends, the author gives a complete picture of a man who was complex, difficult, extraordinary, and much loved.  From the beginning to the end of his career, O'Toole was seen by many as one of the best actors in the world. However, he wasn't always easy to work with, or even easy to be around.

I had read a review of this biography and thought it would be an interesting read, since I feel O'Toole was an extraordinary actor.  While the book was interesting, it was an illustration of how you can sometimes like someone much better if you don't know much about them.  Halfway through the book, it felt like I was reading on repeat: O'Toole gets a job, is an amazing actor, drinks, does something dangerous, sleeps it off, and starts back up again. He wasn't always a very nice person, and it's obvious that he was probably quite charming, he also seemed a bit impossible to be around. While I'd like to now revisit some of his films, and finally watch Lawrence of Arabia for the first time, and I did finish this book, I don't think I'd like to re-read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment