Friday, February 9, 2018

Semiosis

Semiosis by Sue Burke. 333 pages.

When Earth's environmental and political problems have become too extreme, a group of scientists, longing for a better world, turn to space for a planet that may be habitable for humans. The scientists wake up after nearly 200 years (cryogenically frozen, of course) to find Pax, a planet much like Earth. Only, Pax is much older, and as a result, the plant life has had more time to evolve...and possibly develop a kind of sentience. What follows is a saga of this small colony fighting to survive in an environment that can be both hospitable and hostile at once.

While it is not revealed in most teasers I have read, I don't think it is much of a spoiler to reveal that each chapter in Semiosis is written from a different point-of-view throughout the generations that inhabit Pax. This leads to some incredible storytelling where we, the readers, have a broader knowledge of how events and alliances have unfolded, but such knowledge isn't always as apparent to the characters. I wasn't sure I was going to get into this book at first, but when I caught on to this structure by the second chapter, I was hooked. Semiosis brings up some really interesting implicit commentary on culture heritage, ownership, and the passage of a collective knowledge. It was a thrilling read, with definite suspense and horror elements peppering the plot. Following these characters--humans and plants--for so long garners a lot of attachment, and I was on the edge of my seat 'til the end wondering how (or even if) anyone would make it. A fantastic read and one I just may return to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment