Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Death by Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake

Death by Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake by Sarah Graves    282 pages

Jake and Ellie have a longstanding friendship, so when they decide to open a chocolate-themed bakery in their small town, they figure it'll be easy. Things are going well, and they've agreed to make several chocolate cherry cheesecakes for an upcoming event. However, their luck changes when retired health inspector Matt Muldoon is found face-down in a pot of melted chocolate.  The fact that Ellie never liked Matt doesn't mean that she killed him; Matt wasn't popular with a lot of people.

However, Ellie doesn't have an alibi for the night of the murder, so Jake is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery and find Matt's killer.

This, of course, leads to many adventures for Jake and Ellie, along with a bunch of other characters. I had read a review of this book and thought I'd try it . . . although I think it'll be my last try of a cozy culinary mystery. They're just not my thing.  I read a lot of thrillers and psychological suspense, so I had thought this would be a refreshing read. However, I just never quite warmed up to the characters and I lost interest in the mystery, other than a mild sense of curiosity about who actually killed Matt Muldoon.  I don't think it's the book that's failing; it's just not my kind of book.

No comments:

Post a Comment