Thursday, February 15, 2018

Crooked Kingdom

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo     536 pages

The Six of Crows team is back, this time, double-crossed and fighting for their lives, they attempt to pull off one last heist to gain back what they were promised. The crew faces steep odds and must rely on their varied strengths as the fight, not only for themselves but also the world, to destroy the secret to making jurda parem and maybe gain the lives they've always wanted.

This was a disappointing end to a very cool duology. I don't even know why I thought I could trust Bardugo after the way her last series ended. I am 100% done with her. If you can't come up with a plausible reason why my favorite character has to die, then you can't be trusted.

This story was interesting - not as well crafted as the first installment - but then she had to go and ruin it. I was right in my assumption - she loves neat, put together relationships. Each of the six paired up nicely. In this way, the characters are laughably basic YA stock characters, which is a shame, because, really, in all other respects, (with the exception of Wylan, and sometimes Jesper, who truly bored me), they were complex, well thought out characters. 

And, ultimately, I can't forgive Bardugo, EVER, for killing my favorite character (and needlessly, at that). I'm sorry. I just can't. And I vow to never let Bardugo to do this to me again. This is the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment