Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Bones of the Moon

Bones of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll      217 pages

"Cullen, a young, hip Manhattan wife, finds odd fulfillment in a bizarre series of dreams taking place in Rondua, a psychedelic fantasy landscape, where she must summon a courage not asked of her while awake. But slowly, her dream world is spilling over into New York reality, and soon even Cullen's new-found courage may not be enough to save her."

That's the summary from Goodreads. And, I suppose it is a good summary. However, it doesn't quite get across how strange and how evocative this book is. Cullen is having these dreams, but in these dreams is her son, Pepsi. In real life, Cullen has no son, however; she had an abortion many years before.  Now, in Rondua, she must summon courage, yes, but it's not really for herself, but for her son, unborn in the real world, but in great danger in this fantastical world.  And is it a fantasy world? It sounds like it, to be sure. "I remember when the sea was full of fish with mysterious names: Mudrake, Cornsweat, Yasmuda, and there wasn't much to do in a day."  This is how it begins when Cullen dreams of Rondua, and it just gets more and more fantastical.

This is one of the things I love about this book. I enjoy that it's strange and fantastical and sometimes disturbing, much like real dreams can be. However, I also like that the story isn't just about Rondua, but about Cullen, and her relationship with her husband and her close friend. It's self-discovery, but in a different kind of way because you're alternating between the real world and Rondua (which certainly starts to feel very real). There is also a very real sense of danger that runs through this story. It's not just that what is happening to Cullen in Rondua is becoming more serious, but also that there is a real-life thread that is uncomfortable.  I feel the book is beautifully written, and that's another thing I really enjoy about it. I own this book and have read it several times, each time reading something in a new way, or gaining a different perspective.  

I have talked to other people who've read this book and they didn't like it, or they saw it as a piece focusing on abortion, pushing an agenda. Personally, I just enjoy it because it's strange and creative and it makes me think, and each time I re-read it, I enjoy it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment