Sunday, February 11, 2018

Six of Crows

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo     465 pages

Set in the Grisha verse, Bardugo's story involves a heist, the highest stakes, and six very different people to pull it off. The job is to break into one of the most secure prisons in the world and rescue a certain prisoner, who holds the key to creating the worlds most dangerous drug for Grisha. Though very different from each other, each of the six main characters offers a special skill that will allow the group to potentially succeed in this mission. The stakes are high but the price is right.

Better and more interesting main characters than Bardugo's previous series. I'm glad to see the Grisha verse again, and finally with characters that are actually interesting and that I care about from Bardugo (thank goodness there are no Alina and Mal look-alikes in this book). 

The story is well crafted, the heist is exciting, the components all fit together nicely and Bardugo uses multiple pov to great effect in this area. The heist elements are nicely pared with the Grisha world and the stakes seemed real and important.

I guess my only hang up is that there are six main characters and, from what I can see, there will be six neat little pairs by the end of this series. I can understand one, maybe two bonds being formed amongst this group, but for all six of them to wind up in relationships seems so far-fetched and silly, but I guess I should expect it from Bardugo because she really likes nice, tidy romance endings. The pairing I find least believable is the one that seems to be forming between Jesper and Wylan. Their flirting feels a bit clumsy and last minute, but I guess Bardugo chose to have three couples rather than one solid couple and a love triangle. 

We'll see how things shake out in the next book, but I feel like this particular installment is very strong and I'd hate to see this short series go the way of Bardugo's previous series and fumble in the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment