Tuesday, April 17, 2018

And now we have everything

And Now We Have Everything: On Motherhood Before I Was Ready by Meaghan O'Connell   240 pages

"Meaghan O'Connell always felt totally alienated by the cutesy, sanctimonious, sentimental tone of most writing about motherhood. After getting accidentally pregnant in her twenties, she realized that the book she needed--a brutally honest, agenda-less take on the emotional and existential impact of motherhood--didn't exist. So she decided to write it herself."

I honestly don't remember why I put a hold on this book. It was an okay read, but I must have read a synopsis somewhere and thought it would be . . interesting? funny?  I'm not sure.  I thought it was an okay book but not great.  I don't have an experience like O'Connell's, so while this book gave me insight into her life, I didn't feel like I could identify with her at all (either before or after she had her baby).  What was interesting to read was how honest O'Connell is about her experience in the delivery room, and also about how so many young mothers feel a push to make "mom friends," and other things that aren't covered in "What to expect when you're expecting."

No comments:

Post a Comment