Monday, April 30, 2018

Greeks Bearing Gifts

Greeks Bearing Gifts by Philip Kerr   506 pages
Look at that – as I’m writing this, I open Publisher’s Weekly and see that Philip Kerr has died, so this is his last work (not that that will influence my opinion about the book).
This book only caught my eye because it was an AR, so I wasn’t paying attention to the fact that it is a serial novel – argh! As a rule, I have to start a series from the first book, and my thinking is right on target with regard to this novel. Although the story was ok, I was perpetually lost as to the character of protagonist Bernie Gunther and references to his questionable past within the Nazi regime. It’s not that I don’t recommend the book but I would certainly start with the beginning of the series to appreciate the nuances of setting and character development.
1957, Munich. Bernie Gunther's latest move in a long string of varied careers sees him working for an insurance company. It makes a kind of sense: both cops and insurance companies have a vested interest in figuring out when people are lying to them, and Bernie has a lifetime of experience to call on.
Sent to Athens to investigate a claim from a fellow German for a ship that has sunk, Bernie takes an instant dislike to the claimant. When he discovers the ship in question once belonged to a Greek Jew deported to Auschwitz, he is convinced the sinking was no accident but an avenging arson attack. Then the claimant is found dead, shot through both eyes. Strong-armed into helping the Greek police with their investigation, Bernie is once again drawn inexorably back to the dark history of the Second World War, and the deportation of the Jews of Salonika - now Thessaloniki.
Posted By:   Regina C.    

No comments:

Post a Comment