Thursday, April 12, 2018

Loving Frank


Loving Frank by Nancy Horn  377 pages

I’ve been looking forward to reading Loving Frank since it was first published way back in 2007. It’s been languishing on my shelf, and each time I saw it, I thought “I’ve heard such wonderful things about it, I can’t wait to read it.” That’s why it was on 12 books to read this year list, which lists the books I plan to read as my 2018 New Year’s Resolution. Of the twelve, I picked this one for April. I was ready to settle down with a great read.

Loving Frank is a “work of fiction based on certain events relating to the love affair between the brilliant architect Frank Lloyd Wright and one of his clients Mamah Borthwick Cheney.”  The story begins in 1907, when the affair thrived, and ends in 1914 with Mamah’s tragic and horrific death.

I found the story uneven, based on the use of past and present tense. Also, I found the plot points to be rather dramatic. Sometimes the story would be great; I couldn’t put it down.  At other times, it was so dull, I could barely stay awake. And the story was about50/50 for each up and down.

I was so disappointed in this book. I have read Horan’s other novel about Robert Louis Stevenson and his wife, which was much better. In the meantime, Loving Frank receives 2 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

No comments:

Post a Comment