Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Luckiest Girl Alive

Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll   352 pages 

"As a teenager at the prestigious Bradley School, Ani FaNelli endured a shocking, public humiliation that left her desperate to reinvent herself. Now, with a glamorous job, expensive wardrobe, and handsome blue blood fiancé, she’s this close to living the perfect life she’s worked so hard to achieve.

But Ani has a secret.

There’s something else buried in her past that still haunts her, something private and painful that threatens to bubble to the surface and destroy everything."

You'd think with a description like that, I'd remember if I had read this book or not. I had read a blurb about the book and picked it up from the library . . . only to start reading it and get a nagging sense that I had read it before. However, it wasn't a clear memory -- there was no part where I was "yes, I definitely read this!"  Instead, it felt vaguely familiar but not to the point where I could predict the story.  I actually didn't like the book that much, but kept reading because I kept thinking my memory would kick in a little bit more.  I guess I was hoping for something with more of a Chelsea Cain or Gillian Flynn-like edge, and instead kept feeling like I wasn't invested in the main character.  There isn't much character growth here and because the story is really based on Ani and what happened to her and how that is affecting her adult life, the book fell a little flat for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment