Friday, October 23, 2020

How To Build a Girl


How To Build a Girl: A Novel by Caitlin Moran   368 pages


An excellent book!      WHile it is very much a coming of age book for a 14 year old girl through her 17th birthday year,  the things Johanna Morrigan/Dolly WIlde get up to during those 3 hot years would make Lolita blush.   It is funny and bawdy and I kept thinking how lucky this young girl was she was never in a situation she couldn't talk her way out of because she puts herself out there in so many ways - YIKES!!!  It is a wonderful story, though,  Johanna Morrigan reinvents herself as Dolly WIlde and lives up to name.  She embraces the sexual knowledge she gleans from the library books she reads and puts her learning to good use as a sexual adventurer.   She keeps such a good attitude the whole way through with everything a new learning experience.   I applaud her.   Now I must go check out the film with Jonah Hill's little sister, Beanie Feldstein playing the lead character.   I am not sure I would recommend this one for even mature teens because I wouldn't want their impressionable minds thinking of copying Dolly, who led a charmed life given her circumstances.   This is definitely adult behavior being discussed disguised as a 14 year old.    I do recommend this book, o.k. very mature teens, like 18 year olds  on up.   I think everyone who enjoyed a liberal upbringing will enjoy this book..

No comments:

Post a Comment