Saturday, October 31, 2020

Wow, No Thank You

 Wow, No Thank You by Samatha Irby   336 pages

This is a collection of essays about marriage, aging, settling down, and being Black in white, small-town America.  Irby let Chicago and moved into a house with her wife and two stepchildren in a small town in Michigan.  As the book's description says, "This is the bourgeois life of dreams. She goes on bad dates with new friends, spends weeks in Los Angeles taking meetings with "skinny, luminous peoples" while being a "cheese fry-eating slightly damp Midwest person," "with neck pain and no cartilage in [her] knees," and hides Entenmann's cookies under her bed and unopened bills under her pillow."

I found some of the essays funnier than others, but what I really loved was reading about Irby's experiences in Chicago. I have gone to some of the same clubs, and really liked how reading this brought back my own memories of living and working in Chicago.  I also liked reading her perspectives on life -- I found some of the same things funny, but she's also nothing like me --- so it was cool to learn more about her.  Fun book!  Also, bonus points for the cute bunny on the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment