Tuesday, October 27, 2020

I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President

 

I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President by Josh Lieb, 303 pages

After reading one funny book I was in the mood for another funny book and wanted to go with something I knew wouldn't disappoint me, so I went with an old favorite. I think this is at least my third time reading this.

What do you do when you're born with limitless intelligence but you still have to get through middle school and high school before you can fully realize your powers? If you're Oliver Watson you play dumb. To his family and classmates Oliver is an unexceptional student and is definitely not in the "cool" crowd. But he doesn't mind because when he's not playing the role of loser kid, he's running multinational companies and enjoying the benefits of his wealth by visiting the underground lair he accesses from his bedroom.

What I love about this book are the unbelievable (but unbelievably funny) situations a 7th grade genius deals with, especially if he's busy sending his least-favorite teacher secret messages, or he's busy subtly getting back at the school bullies, or he's visiting the permanently out of order stall in the boy's bathroom that has actually been redesigned so he can take a snack break. The laughs don't end, but there's more to the story: Oliver actually adores his mother, has a wonderful dog named Lollipop, and has a typical strained relationship with his father. It's to prove his character to his father that Oliver decides to run for class president. But when you're not a typical kid, even though there are so many ways to get short-term revenge, even Oliver has to deal with the consequences of his actions in a delightfully nutty middle school kind of ending. 

This book is a blast and is recommended for teens who will enjoy the sly humor and the ridiculous situations. And if you're an adult like me who needs smart fun on occasion, you'll love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment