Friday, October 23, 2020

Welcome to the Monkey House


 Welcome to the Monkey House: A Collection of Short Works by Kurt Vonnegut   331 pages


I had a completely different impression of the writer I thought Kurt Vonnegut to be.  For some reason I had the idea that he was more of a scientific writer so I was surprised to read his short stories.   Most have the feel and prose of an earlier time, say the 40s or 50s although he did go all Ray Bradbury and do sci-fi futuristic in several of them.    For the most part the stories were o.k., some I didn't care for as much as others, but, some were very entertaining and made me smile.   If you like short stories you will most likely appreciate these, too, however, having said that, honestly, this is not a book I would recommend.   The stories were o.k. but to me only just o.k.    They weren't terrific which I honestly expected Vonnegut's writing to be.    I finished it but nothing really spoke to me much in these stories,  A few good ones but nothing to really shout about.

No comments:

Post a Comment