Saturday, October 31, 2020

Radical Candor: Be A Kick-ass Boss Without Losing your Humanity


 Radical Candor:  Be A Kick-ass Boss Without Losing your Humanity  by Kim Malone Scott  246 pages

"From the time we learn to speak, we’re told that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. While this advice may work for everyday life, it is, as Kim Scott has seen, a disaster when adopted by managers.

Scott earned her stripes as a highly successful manager at Google and then decamped to Apple, where she developed a class on optimal management. She has earned growing fame in recent years with her vital new approach to effective management, the “radical candor” method.

Radical candor is the sweet spot between managers who are obnoxiously aggressive on one side and ruinously empathetic on the other. It’s about providing guidance, which involves a mix of praise as well as criticism—delivered to produce better results and help employees achieve."  (Goodreads)

I really liked this book and wound up using page flags to mark some things to share with some other people (and I also put it on my "Want" list in LibraryThing so I remember I want a copy for myself).  While I have studied emotional intelligence, communication styles, management, etc. over the years, I still found some new things to think about in this book.  I also found touchstones for things that I already practice, which was helpful --- always good to know if you're on the correct track.  

No comments:

Post a Comment