Saturday, January 25, 2014

Head Games


Head Games (Locke and Key Pt 2) by Joe Hill, 144 pages
If you read my earlier review of part one of the Locke and Key series I predicted that it could only get weirder from here. Boy was I right. Head Games introduces a new key. One that makes the top of your head disappears so it forms a basin. You are then able to look into, insert, and remove memories.
Of course Bode is the one who finds the key and shows it off to his brother and sister. They test everything they can think of. First they insert an entire cookbook into his head and he instantly knows all the recipes. Next they remove a memory only he has from the first book and he instantly forgets that ever happens. They put the memory back and take the key from him, saying they want to experiment with it more.
While experimenting his sister, Kinsey, removes herself doubt and her fear. Their brother, Tyler, uses the ability to “read” a couple books for school that he had been ignoring. Eventually the villain of the story gets a hold of the key and uses it to remove thoughts and memories. I know that is very vague, but I don’t want to ruin any of the story for you.
I must confess I would love to have that key. Imagine being able to instantly learn anything. Need to learn French? No problem, just insert the book into your head. Want to become an expert car mechanic? Insert book. Want to blog about 300 books a day? Just insert the books into your brain, though not sure that counts as reading it… As far as the book shows there is no downside or side effects so it would be the ultimate learning tool.
I am really starting to enjoy this series. They keys are an interesting way to allow anything to happen, but still retain some sort of plausibility. Will definitely keep reading!

1 comment:

  1. I loved the idea of this key, too. As I finished this book last night, I was thinking that it would be especially useful for learning foreign languages.

    ReplyDelete