Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Atlas Shrugged


Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, 1168 pages

Atlas Shrugged is probably the only novel I both hate and love at the same time. I love the philosophical debates that undermine religion, society, the government, and nearly any other system in existence. I love the way the novel challenges you to think though it takes a couple passes before you can realize what the novel wants you to think about. I hate the way every character goes into a rambling debate every time they speak. I hate that some of their speeches take forty pages to get through, and that they are never interrupted or questioned as they go. I love seeing people fighting against what has become a moocher society were everyone considers their need more important than ability. I hate to think that this could be a possible future for the country but as I read the novel I keep seeing signs that this future might be possible.
I find it really hard to talk about Atlas Shrugged in any way that makes sense and I don’t want to try and explain the plot. I just don’t have the ability to express how the book makes me feel. Something about it speaks to me deep inside but in a way I can’t express. While I know that some people will hate the book, I still think everyone should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment