Saturday, January 4, 2014

Hellsing, Vol 1

Hellsing Volume 1 by Kohta Hirano, 208 pages


This is my first foray into the world of anime and so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I had always heard good things and that people never talked about not liking anime. But I wanted to make sure I started off with something I had a high chance of liking. So I did some research and came across the 10 volume series of Hellsing.
It was advertised as an anime for those people that love the supernatural and horror novels/movies. As I enjoy all those topics I thought it would be the one to start with. The fact that it only has ten volumes and not the hundreds that the larger series have was also a benefit.
It took some time to get use to reading backwards but luckily the first couple pages only made sense in one direction. As for quality of writing I enjoyed it. Like I expected from anime it was well drawn and the pictures conveyed more than the actual words on the page. Some of the imagery was a little sick and twisted, but not enough to put me off reading it.
After reading graphic novels for so long, it odd reading something in comic form that is not in full color, but in this case it might have helped the story. It leaves our imagination to color the scene and by doing that makes us form an image in our heads.
If this is the standard for amine, I can see why so many people read it. While I can’t say I will make the leap to other anime series stay tuned for volumes two through ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment