Monday, January 13, 2014

Hellsing Volumes 3-10


Hellsing volumes 3-10 by Kohta Hirano, 1607 pages

 
This concludes my reading of the manga Hellsing. I really enjoyed reading this and am disappointed that this was the end.

This series has everything an action manga could need. Copious amounts of blood that is completely out of proportion to the body it came from? Check. Vampire armies? Strange and unusual weapons, and the sword and gun play needed in any action novel? Attractive heroines in tight fitting clothing? Check, check, and double check.
To sum up the rest of the series a Nazi major who has been hiding out in South America since the end of World War II has launched an attack on London, and namely the Hellsing agency. The attack quickly turns to all-out war when the Vatican decides to join the fray. Through this all Integra, Seras, and the immortal Alucard try to save London and stop the invaders. But the Nazis have a plan that might prove Alucard is not as immortal as he thought.

If all manga follows along this same vein, I am going to need to read more. Everything is extremely well drawn and detailed. Having read more than a couple books, I would like to retract my previous statement about it not being in color. It doesn’t need color. It conveys everything it needs to and lets your mind fill in the color details. Though I can’t help but wonder if there is an anime for this out there somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. There is indeed an anime. Two, in fact. The first series, simply titled Hellsing, is (I've heard) a little more liberal with the adaptation. Hellsing Ultimate was released later and more closely follows the manga you read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not 100% sure what would be the next best thing to suggest manga-wise. Attack on Titan is a solid choice if you're interested in more drama and violence, though it can take some getting used to.

    Death Note is another really popular choice, though personally I can't stand it. It's much less action-y than Hellsing or AoT, but still dramatic, more complex, and (potentially) thought-provoking.

    There's tons of great series to suggest, but knowing as little as I do about your tastes, it's hard to gauge what you'd be into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to second Steve's recommendation of Attack on Titan. I'm not a manga reader typically (the whole right to left thing makes me feel old and confused), but I saw Attack on Titan on some "best of" list and decided to give it a try. I'm liking it so far.

    ReplyDelete