Friday, January 10, 2014

A Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin, 694 pages

A Game of Thrones, the first book in the Song of Ice and Fire series, likely would have gone unnoticed by me if it wasn't for the HBO series with the same name. With the series receiving such high praise and my coworkers talking about it, I requested the first season through the library. Despite hour long episodes the first season flew by and I really enjoyed watching it. Since I knew it was based off a book I mentally added the book and the series to my reading list.

I planned to pick up and read Game of Thrones the next time I saw it on the shelves here at Central. As the months went by and it failed to make an appearance, at least when I looked, I finally decided to put it on request. I now regret waiting.

When I started reading it was like I had read it before. Not only does the HBO series follow it very closely, they even use some of the vary dialog from the book. In some ways this took away from the novel as the parts that were suppose to be suspenseful were not. I knew what was going to happen already, despite the chapter ending on a cliffhanger.

I still would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys science fiction and anyone who liked the TV show. But I would strongly advise reading the book before watching the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment