Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wild Abandon, Joe Dunthorne

Wild Abandon, Joe Dunthorne,  319 pages

       I just checked this book out yesterday and promptly finished it this morning, not because it was badly written, but because I would have felt like there was something missing in my life if I didn't.  I kid you not, it was a great read, and amusing as all get out.  I was searching our online catalogue for fiction under the heading "end of the world" and this is one of the titles that came up in the search. 
        The narrative is centered around a family who lives on a commune in present day Wales, who are changing and coming apart at the seams. The book ended up being less about the end of the world and more about quirky characters that would go well in a film not unlike The Royal Tannenbaums.  The writing reminded me a lot of a British Tom Robbins, something akin to Even Cowgirls Get the Blues or Still Life With Woodpecker.  I cared less about the plot and more about the behavior of the protagonists, and their interactions with each other.  Worth the time, to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment