Monday, September 29, 2014

Dexter's Final Cut

Dexter's Final Cut by Jeff Lindsay, 352 pages



Many people don't realize that the very popular TV show Dexter is based on a character from a novel series. I've been reading the series from the beginning, and there are some very drastic differences between the books and the TV show. The last few Dexter novels have progressively gone downhill, and this was the grand finale. The series ended in such a way that I'm quite sure the author was just ready to be done writing and hurriedly crafted a finish, leaving many things unresolved and ultimately ruining the Dexter character and everything he stood for.
The premise behind this installment is that a popular crime TV show wants to film its pilot at the Miami Police Dept. and the main actor and actress are to shadow Dexter and his sister, Deborah, to develop their roles. The main actress has a stalker who has been following her from city to city, killing blond women who resemble her to send her a message.
Dexter is assigned to be the actress's live-in bodyguard and ultimately becomes her lover as well, deciding he no longer wants or needs the family he is a part of as part of his illusion of being a normal member of society.
In case you can't tell, I was utterly disappointed in this book. To be honest, I wasn't too thrilled with how they ended the TV series either. Hmm.

Important post-script: The word 'dithering' was used so many times in this book, I lost count. I'm not sure I had EVER read a book with that word in it prior. :0

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait till the "sociopaths" tag really fills out, so I can have a one-stop-shop for all things sociopath. :p

    ReplyDelete