Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Last Apprentice series books 6 and 7

Clash of the Demons and Rise of the Huntress by Jospeh Delaney, 408 and 436 pages


Cover image for Rise of the huntress [electronic resource] / Joseph Delaney.Cover image for Clash of the demons [sound recording] / by Joseph Delaney.So far I have enjoyed reading the Last Apprentice series but in these two books it starts to slip a bit. Not only are there more "world ending" threats but they have taken on an unexpected darkening. I liken it to the darkness and uneasiness that crept into the Harry Potter series. You have this underlying belief that everything will turn out fine like most series do, but also this nagging doubt that maybe it won't.

I have never been a fan of the the repeated world ending threats. As I have said in a previous post you know with near certainty that the world is not going to end. I suppose it might have been a tad more believable if I had read these when they came out, but since I know there are still half a dozen more books the world can't end. This "spoiler" removes some of the suspense from the books and just leaves you guessing at how they are going to save the world this time.

The series is still full of adventure and is still worth reading though I hope Delaney doesn't get stuck in this bigger and deadlier plot escalation.

No comments:

Post a Comment