Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Ocean at the end of the Lane

Cover image for The ocean at the end of the lane / Neil Gaiman.Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, 181 pages


Since it was declared that Neil Gaiman books would be worth more points I have been meaning to read one. Now that we are at the end of this round I am down to my last chance (or maybe I have completely missed it). Having not read anything by Gaiman I asked around to see what I should read. This was the most suggested book.

Ocean at the End of the Lane follows an unnamed boy as he discovers both a friend and a scary magical world. It is extremely gripping and easily passes as horror/suspense novel. There are some disturbing, cringe worthy scenes that could be hard to get past. But what really hits home is the ending. It left me feeling completely drained and shocked. I would love to talk about it more but that no spoilers thing gets in the way.

Anyways if all of Gaiman's books are this good you will be seeing a lot more of his reviews on here.

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure several contributors here would encourage you to read Sandman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they have, and I am currently reading through a Sandman omnibus!

      Delete
  2. a) I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bonus Gaiman points ended with the month of August (we don't know yet what the wild card categories will be this year).
    b) What Steve said. (Also, read American Gods).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I retract point A! After talking to Kara, we've decided to continue the former scoring points until we learn what the new wild card categories will be for the state-wide challenge. So Gaiman books still earn an extra point!

      Delete